Friday, 1 February 2013

Bench Tip - Soldering Small Jobs - Creme Brulee Torch

I do most of my metalsmithing in a spare room in a house.  For obvious safety reasons, I don't keep my gas tank and torch in a living space and so my soldering station is in a separate room.  This, however, means that sometimes I have put off orders and projects because I don't want to or don't feel well enough to trek back and forth between my work spaces or, in winter, don't want to sit in the freezing cold to solder.  I get especially annoyed about having to leave my regular studio just for the 10 second job of soldering a jump ring closed before mailing a pendant.

It only took me five years - until this week - to realize that I could use the tiny creme brulee torch that's been sitting in my kitchen cupboard for these tiny jobs.  It is small, much safer than a tank of gas, and perfect for little tasks like closing jump rings.




I now keep a piece of wire solder, a leftover piece of solder block, and a little baby food jar of flux in my studio space.  Score 1 for circumventing procrastination :)


No comments:

Post a Comment