Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Goodbye To You

I don't like autumn. I don't like watching the vibrancy of summer wither away, and the sunlight become slanted, weak, always positioning itself in an inconvenient place in the sky.  I don't like having the taste of summer still on my tongue and the tips of my fingers, the memory of owls and thick air and wildflowers still so recent and hard to let go of.  I prefer to be deeply entrenched in winter, adjusted to and resigned to our current fate and able to start anticipating the coming tendrils of spring instead of aching for what's just behind.


The last of the Black-Eyed Susans.


There will be other summers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you don't like autumn. I love it! Here are some things to focus on: It's less hot, and you're less likely to get a sunburn; the leaves are beautiful; pumpkins and squash are in season; apple cider; Halloween; Thanksgiving; sweaters; the next season is winter with clear nights full of stars, beautiful snow storms, and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete